Today, i decided to give back to the blogging community.
I have always been a big fan of various blogs (mostly on microsoft : blogs.technet.com; blogs.msdn.com; weblogs.asp.net) and has benefited a lot from bloggers around the world both personally and professionally. I have, in the past, tried to start blogging and has in fact posted two entries way back in 2006. If my memory serves me right, i blogged about upgrading the EDAF/EDRA to .NET 2.0 in the past.
So, starting today, I’m going to start blogging and hopefully am able to help others benefit from this great information sharing technology.
For my first blog, I’m going to share a workaround on TechEd 2008 North America DVD SilverLight version compatibility issue.
The TechEd 2008 DVD comes with a SilverLight application that allows for browsing the contents of the DVD. Unfortunately, it was developed prior to the RTM release of SilverLight 2.0, specifically SilverLight 2.0 Beta 2.
The html page included in the DVD will ask you to install SilverLight 2 Beta but the link is actually pointing to the RTM release of SilverLight 2.0, so even if you install it, you wont be able to view the contents of the DVD using SilverLight since it was built using he beta.
Here’s a quick workaround to the issue:
1. Locate the file DevSite.Silverlight.xap in the folder named Art in the DVD and copy to your local drive. This file is just a actually a zip file.
2. Rename the file to DevSite.Silverlight.zip and extract the file AppManifest.xaml.
3. Edit the AppManifest.xaml and replace the RuntimeVersion value to ="2.0.31005.0" and save the file.
4. Update DevSite.Silverlight.zip with the updated copy of the AppManifest.xaml.
5. Rename DevSite.Silverlight.zip back to DevSite.Silverlight.xap
You have now updated the application of the SilverLight application to use the RTM copy of SilverLight 2.0
1. Locate the file Default.htm in the DVD root folder, Dev-Interop.js, and Sessions.xml from the Art folder in the DVD and copy the files to the exact location where you copied the DevSite.Silverlight.xap file.
2. Edit Dev-Interop.js and locate the function:
3. Comment out the line:
and enter a new line as follows:
where "file///f:/" represents the drive letter of your DVD drive. In my case it’s f:, if your DVD is on d: drive, simply replace f: with d:
4. Save the file.
5. Edit the file Default.htm
6. Find all occurences of the string Art/ and replace with <dvddrive>:/Art where <dvddrive> is the drive letter of your DVD. If you’re DVD in on d:, you should pu d:/Art
7. Locate the line:
<object data="data:application/x-silverlight," type="application/x-silverlight-2-b2" width="925px" height="510px">
and replace with:
<object data="data:application/x-silverlight-2," type="application/x-silverlight-2" width="925px" height="510px">
8. Save the file.
Double click on the update file Default.htm, click on View Sessions, select a track and voila, you can now view the sessions from the DVD.
Hope this helps.